Faculty Relations News

Appointment, Reappointment, Tenure and Promotion – Update on Eligible Members to Vote

The University and the Faculty Association have signed a new Memorandum of Understanding, effective July 1, 2015, that specifies which faculty members are eligible to vote on appointment, reappointment, tenure and promotion for the Research stream and Educational Leadership stream.

In the case of all initial appointments, all tenured and tenure-track members of the department are eligible to vote. For more information on eligible members to vote in reappointment, tenure and promotion, please visit Faculty Relations’ Chart Regarding Eligible Members (UBCV) or Human Resources’ Memorandum of Agreement Regarding Eligible Members (UBCO).

Honorary Appointments, Adjunct Professors and Visiting Appointments

Faculty Relations (UBCV) and Human Resources (UBCO) want to highlight the distinction between Honorary Appointments, Adjunct Professors and Visiting Appointments.

Honorary appointments are made in recognition of services rendered to the University. In the case of an individual who holds a faculty appointment at another academic institution, they may be appointed as an Honorary Affiliate faculty member on the recommendation of the Dean. The Honorary Affiliate designation is appropriate for research collaborators from other institutions. Please note that individuals holding honorary appointments receive no salary or benefits but may be paid a lump sum honorarium.

Adjunct Professor appointments are reserved for individuals who are currently practicing a profession with distinction or particular success, such that the special skills or learning of value are useful to the University. This title is not used for individuals holding faculty appointments at other institutions. Individuals holding adjunct appointments may receive remuneration.

Visiting appointments are for individuals who hold active faculty appointments at another academic institution, and who are coming to UBC for a temporary period of not more than 2 years. Visiting appointments will normally be listed by the equivalent rank which they hold in the home institution preceded by the word “visiting”. Individuals with emeritus status at an institution that they do not expect to return to may be appointed as an Adjunct Professor. Individuals holding Visiting appointments may receive remuneration (subject to approval from Citizenship & Immigration Canada, as required).

CUPA-HR Membership

The University has recently joined the College and University Professional Association for Human Resources [“CUPA-HR”]. CUPA-HR is the association for HR professionals in higher education and CUPA-HR provides leadership on higher education workplace issues by monitoring trends, exploring emerging workforce issues, conducting research and promoting strategic discussions among colleges and universities.

Anyone in the University HR’s community can add themselves to the membership roster at no additional charge. Please visit CUPA-HR’s website to learn more about member benefits, resources and joining.

Preventing Harassment and Discrimination

As part of the University’s desire to provide a healthy, safe and inspiring work environment and the University’s obligation under the Workers Compensation Act, the University is committed to preventing bullying and harassment in the workplace. All University employees (e.g. faculty, staff and students) must complete a 20-30 minute online training course. Individuals who are not University employees do not fall under this requirement. All University personnel must save the electronic certificate for presentation upon request by a WorkSafe BC officer.

A reminder that all employees are expected to comply with this requirement. New employees should complete the course on their first day during the Safety Orientation. For the Vancouver campus. the online course is available on the University’s Bullying and Harassment Prevention website. If you have trouble accessing the course, please contact your local Health & Safety Committee Co-Chair.

For the Okanagan campus, access the course and request the certificate from the Human Resources’ website.

For more information on the University’s Respectful Environment policy, please visit the University’s Bullying and Harassment Prevention webpage. All employees must ensure that all personal conduct reflects our shared values of respect, dignity, integrity, responsibility, trust and inclusivity.

Beware of Immigration Fraud

Citizen and Immigration Canada (CIC) is warning individuals of fraudulent telephone calls in which the caller identifies themselves as a CIC officer or RCMP officer calling to collect additional personal information or to demand payment for a fine to avoid deportation.

To identify and prevent fraud, it is important to know that CIC does not ask individuals for:

  • Personal information to avoid deportation,
  • Payment of fines to avoid deportation,
  • Deposit money into a personal bank account,
  • Transfer money through private money transfer service or
  • Payment over the telephone.

Although CIC may contact individuals to collect additional information to continue processing an application or to request additional information, CIC does not ask for confirmation of basic personal information that has been already provided on an application form (e.g. date of birth, passport number). Further, deportation orders are only issued by the CIC and enforced by the Canadian Border Services Agency.

Anyone who receives a suspicious call should hang up immediately and contact their local police to report the incident or the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre at 1-888-495-8501.

For more information, please visit the CIC’s Internet, Email and Telephone Scams website.

Progress Through The Ranks Increase 2014

The Faculty Association and the University have agreed that the University will immediately start the process of implementing the July 1, 2014, PTR increases. While the University will commence the PTR process as soon as possible, it will take some time for the process to be completed and for the increments to actually be paid.

Progress Through the Ranks Increase 2015

The implementation of the 2015 Merit & PSA must wait until we have a new Collective Agreement, however, the review process needs to begin shortly. Departments should ask their faculty members to submit their annual summary of activity and C.V. for the review year (typically April 1, 2014 to March 31, 2015). We recommend that the evaluation process commence as soon as all annual reports have been received. Procedures for merit and PSA are found in the Collective Agreement and on the Faculty Relations website.

Immigration Updates

Employer Transition Plans No Longer Required

Our September 2014 Special Immigration Update outlined a new requirement for Transition Plans which had to be submitted with each Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) application. Employment and Social Development Canada has announced that Transition Plans will no longer be required for University LMIA applications. However, any university opting out of the Transition Plan is required to submit an annual report to the Association of Universities & Colleges of Canada (AUCC).

The usual requirements for obtaining an LMIA still apply for all those positions not otherwise exempt.

Foreign academics who have worked in rank for at least two years can also apply for PR status prior to their arrival in Canada through the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP). Through the PNP a foreign worker can obtain a letter of support for a work permit instead of an LMIA.

For details on the foreign academic hiring process, see the Faculty Relations Immigration page.

Further details about the program are available on the CIC website.

New Employer Compliance Fee & Rules For LMIA-Exempt Appointments

Employers seeking to hire foreign workers through the LMIA-exempt process are now required to submit compliance information and a fee of $230 to CIC. This new compliance program is aimed at ensuring employers hiring LMIA exempt individuals are taking reasonable steps toward hiring Canadians similar to those required by the LMIA process. Employers who are found to be non-compliant may be subject to penalties imposed by CIC.

This will primarily affect postdoctoral fellows, clinical fellows and visiting faculty, the process for which is handled in the departments.

The Employer Compliance process for LMIA-exempt appointments is as follows:

  • The employer pays the compliance fee online and obtains a receipt number.
  • The employer completes the Offer of Employment form (IMM5802) with all required information including the payment receipt number. Template forms for Visiting Faculty and Fellows are found on the Faculty Relations website.
  • Choose the ‘submit’ button at the bottom of the form and this will generate an automatic email to CIC. This form does not have to be signed in order to submit it. The employer emails the form. If you wish to send a signed form, print the form prior to choosing submit, have it signed and then attach this version to the email.
  • The employer provides the foreign academic with a copy of the Offer of Employment form (IMM5802) and the Fee Receipt to include with his or her work permit application. The department also needs to provide an offer letter to the Visitor/Fellow.

Faculty Relations (Vancouver campus) and Human Resources (Okanagan campus) will continue to manage the process for regular faculty members whose appointments are LMIA exempt.

The compliance fee can be reimbursed if the work permit application is refused by CIC or withdrawn by the University. If the offer of employment is withdrawn by the University, CIC must be notified by email (the University must forward the original Offer of Employment submission to the same CIC email address with the word “withdrawal” added to the subject line, and a written reason for withdrawal within the body of the email).

Exemptions to the compliance fee are granted for some categories, including Canada Research Chairs (CRC), and Canada Excellence Research Chairs (CERC).

CIC plans to create an online portal in July, 2015, to centralize and simplify the Employer Compliance scheme for LMIA-Exempt hiring.

The $230 fee does not apply to foreign workers who already hold open work permits. However, CIC has also introduced a new $100 fee for open work permit applications. This fee can also be reimbursed under the same conditions as above.

For more information about this process, see the CIC International Mobility Program.

Express Entry system for applications for Permanent Resident Status

As of Jan. 1, Citizenship and Immigration Canada’s new Express Entry program for permanent residency is in effect. The Express Entry program aims to streamline the process of obtaining permanent residency for more highly qualified applicants.

The application process requires candidates to submit an online profile detailing their personal education and work experience. All applicants must also complete an English language test before they can start the application process. CIC chooses the top candidates from this pool of profiles on an ongoing basis and sends each an Invitation to Apply (ITA). Once an ITA is received, the candidate has 60 days to complete an online application for permanent residency. These applications will be processed in six months or less.

The CIC chooses the top candidates using a points system. While points are awarded for numerous factors, candidates who already have a job arranged in Canada with an LMIA or have been nominated through the PNP program are given the advantage of an additional 600 points out of a possible total of 1,200 (see CIC’s Comprehensive Ranking System). Given this advantage, Faculty Relations strongly encourages foreign academics to apply for permanent residency through Express Entry. To date CIC has had several rounds of invitations with the lowest points varying between 808 and 886.

Express Entry can be used for the Federal Skilled Worker program for applicants with work experience outside Canada, Canadian Experience Class for applicants with at least one year work experience in Canada, and the BC Provincial Nominee Program for applicants with at least two years’ experience in rank in Canada.

Bridging Open Work Permits for Permanent Residency Applicants

Foreign academics already in Canada with work permits who have applied for permanent residency status but have not yet received a decision may qualify for a Bridging Work Permit. The program is available for permanent residency applicants in Canada whose permits are set to expire within four months. For details about eligibility and the application process, see CIC Bridging Open Work Permits.

Work Permits Available for Spousal and Common-Law Permanent Residency Applicants

In December CIC announced a one-year pilot program granting open work permits to permanent residency applicants in the spouse or common-law partner in Canada (SPCLC) class of applicants who have not yet received a decision. Individuals who have applied for permanent residency within the SPCLC class should complete the Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay, or Remain in Canada as a Worker form.

Permanent Resident Status – What To Do Once It Has Been Obtained

Once Citizenship & Immigration Canada (CIC) approves an application for Permanent Resident (PR) status and the Faculty member has completed the landing process, the CIC will issue a Permanent Resident Card. As soon as a faculty member receives this they will need to apply for a new Social Insurance Number (SIN) from their nearest Service Canada Office. If the application is made in person the new SIN will normally be issued right away and will replace the previous 900-numbered SIN which reflected temporary resident status.

A copy of the PR card (front & back) and a copy of confirmation of the new SIN must be provided to Faculty Relations and Payroll.

Information regarding obligations for Permanent Residents of Canada is found on the CIC website.

WorkBC Job Postings

As announced in the November 2014 Newsletter, UBC has one central account that is used for all job postings on WorkBC. Any departments seeking to post on WorkBC should contact Nicky Hogg, to gain access to the account. Please do not create new accounts for the purpose of posting UBC positions, as WorkBC will freeze that account until it can be merged with the main UBC account.