Permanent Residency & Citizenship

General Information on the Permanent Resident Visa

Full-time UBC faculty members (tenure/track) who are not citizens or permanent residents of Canada are expected to apply for and obtain a Permanent Resident Visa (PRV) in order to maintain their employment in Canada.

Foreign faculty members apply for permanent residency under the Skilled Worker category. Information on permanent residency and the application process can be found on the following Immigration, Refugees & Citizenship Canada’s (IRCC) webpages:

to top

BC Provincial Nominee Program

Individuals appointed to tenure or tenure-track positions may apply for a permanent resident visa through the BC Provincial Nominee Program (PNP). By applying through the PNP permanent residency will be obtained in a shorter period of time (typically under 1 year) than if an individual applies directly to IRCC. Immediate family members are also included in the PNP application. In order to apply, a faculty member’s academic unit must nominate their faculty member – PNP will not accept applications from individuals. Helpful information regarding the PNP process is found on the IRCC website.

Please note that in addition to IRCC’s processing fees there is a PNP application fee of $550 that the individual is responsible for paying.

All nominations are coordinated through UBC’s immigration specialists at the Housing and Relocation office (UBCV) or Human Resources (UBCO). For more information on this process please contact Housing and Relocation Services or UBCO HR at

to top

Direct Application for Permanent Resident Status

Individuals holding tenure or tenure-track positions who opt not to apply via the PNP, or individuals who hold term positions at UBC, are responsible for applying for permanent residency on their own. If a member has been employed in Canada for a period of 1 year or more they can apply under the Canadian Experience Class.

The Express Entry program aims to streamline the process of permanent residency application for the most highly qualified candidates. Individuals who are already employed by the University can score especially well in this process, and are thus encouraged to take advantage of Express Entry.

If a faculty member has concerns regarding the permanent resident application process, they may wish to consider retaining an immigration lawyer/consultant. Faculty Relations can provide a referral upon request. Please note that it is the responsibility of the individual for all costs associated with this consultation. If a member’s Department is going to assist them financially, they should approach the Department in advance.

to top

After Permanent Residence Status is Granted

Once permanent resident status has been granted the faculty member will need to provide a copy of the front and rear of the permanent resident card and new Social Insurance Card (SIN) to Faculty Relations (UBCV) or Human Resources (UBCO). If applicable, copies of the permanent resident card for dependents and/or a spouse should be forwarded to the Benefits Desk in Payroll to ensure the continuation of MSP coverage.

Faculty members who are Permanent Residents in Canada are required to show a valid Permanent Residency card for cross border and international travel.  Cards are valid for five years and processing times can vary so application for a new card should be made within six months prior to the expiry date of the current card. To renew (or replace) a Permanent Resident card, individuals are obliged to complete some forms (including a list of all travel outside Canada in the last five years), attach supporting documents and pay a $50 fee. Refer to the IRCC website for further information

to top


In order for permanent residents to  be eligible to apply for citizenship they must meet the following criteria:

(1) be physically present in Canada as a permanent resident for 1,460 days within the six years immediately before applying for citizenship; and

(2) be physically present in Canada as a permanent resident for 183 days in each of four calendar years that are partially or fully in the six years immediately before applying for citizenship.

Information on citizenship can be found as follows:

to top