Obtaining a Social Insurance Number

In order to work at UBC, you must have a Social Insurance Number (SIN). The Social Insurance Number is a nine-digit number that you need to work in Canada or to have access to government programs and benefits. Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) regulations do not permit any employer to pay an employee who does not have a Social Insurance Number.

All employees are required by Service Canada to present their SIN card to their employer within three days of starting work UBC administrators must ensure that they have seen a new faculty member’s SIN card prior to sending appointment paperwork for processing.

Foreign Academics

Foreign academics who are to receive salary or an honorarium must apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN) from a Service Canada Centre . It can take up to three weeks for a SIN card to be issued. When the application is made Service Canada will issue a receipt of application. This receipt and a copy of the work permit must be supplied to the department administrator who will forward to Faculty Relations. It is mandatory that all non-Canadians supply these two pieces of information. Appointments cannot be processed without them.

For more information about obtaining a Social Insurance Number, visit the Service Canada website.