Professional Development Reimbursement Balance Information

Faculty Members and their administrators are able to access PDR balance information online.

Frequently Asked Questions

The FAQs below provide answers to questions you may have.  If you have further questions please refer to the PDR Guidelines or contact the PDR desk at or 604-822-2044.

*For the purposes of this document, “faculty member” includes all members of the Faculty Association (professors, instructors, lecturers, librarians and program directors), except for Sessional Lecturers without continuing status.

1.What information is presented in myPDR Summary and how is it used?

myPDR Summary includes each faculty member’s annual PDR entitlement amount, the claims paid annually, any expired amount, and his or her current and available PDR balances. A maximum of 9 years is displayed. This includes the 5 years, including the present year that can be carried forward, and up to 5 years, including the present year, that can be borrowed ahead (if applicable). Before making a PDR claim, faculty members should check their available balance in myPDR Summary.

2. Who can access myPDR Summary?

Eligible faculty members, with the exception of Sessional Lecturers, can access their PDR summary information via self-service. Sessional Lecturers can request their balances from the PDR Desk at or 604-822-2044.

Administrators in each of the units can also access the PDR summary for members within their unit.

To Top

3. How can I as a faculty member access myPDR Summary?

Step 1. Go to the Enterprises Systems Portal at Using your CWL ID, login to register with the UBC Faculty & Staff Self-Service application.

Step 2. Select “Faculty and Staff Self Service”. Click “Continue”.

Step 3. Inside the myPD and Learning window, click on “myPDR Summary(faculty only)“. You will automatically be taken to your PDR Summary.

4. How can administrators access the PDR Summary statement of faculty members in their unit?

Step 1. Go to the Enterprises Systems Portal at and login using his or her CWL ID. To register for a CWL ID, please go to

Step 2. Select “Management Systems Portal”. Click “Continue”.

Step 3. Under the “HRMS Applications Home” section, click on “HRMS Live”. On the left-hand menu, select “Workforce Development” à “Faculty Events” à “Track Events” à “Professional Development Fund.”

Step 4. Search by Employee ID or Name to view the PDR Summary of faculty members within their unit.

5.I cannot access myPDR Summary — why is that?

There are several possible reasons why you cannot access your PDR Summary. These include, but are not limited to:

  • You do not have an active appointment on HRMS at the time the PDR Summary statements were generated.
  • You are not eligible to access the PDR funds.
  • You are a Sessional Lecturer.

To Top

6. Can I still access myPDR Summary if I am retired or on leave?

Faculty members who have retired or resigned from the University are no longer eligible for the PDR fund and as such can no longer access the PDR Summary information. If you are on leave, whether paid or unpaid, you can continue to access your PDR Summary in the Self Service Web portal.

7. How is my annual PDR entitlement calculated?

If you commence or end employment with the University other than at the beginning or end of an Entitlement Year (July 1st to June 30th), you will receive a pro-rated entitlement. For example, if your employment commences on September 1st , then your PDR entitlement for the first year will be approximately $916. If your employment ends on September 30th, then your PDR entitlement for that year will be approximately $275.

The PDR entitlement is also affected by unpaid leaves of absence or periods where you are exempt from the faculty bargaining unit. For example, if you have an unpaid leave of absence from September 1st to March 31st of the following year, then your PDR entitlement for that year will be approximately $458.

8. How often is the myPDR Summary updated?

The summary is updated monthly, on or around the 15th day of the following calendar month, and to reflect the information as of the last day of the previous month. The statement date can be found at the bottom left-hand corner of the summary, after the heading “Total PDR Statement as of.”

9. I submitted a claim last month — why don’t I see this amount included in myPDR Summary?

Only PDR claims processed by the PDR Desk as of the last day of the previous month will appear in the summary statement. If you submitted a claim last month which does not appear in the summary, the PDR Desk was not able to process it by the end of the previous month. Your claim will then appear in the following month’s PDR statement.

To Top

10. How are the balances calculated? What is the maximum amount I can claim for reimbursement?

Balances are calculated using the following formula:
Previous year’s ending balance

Add: PDR Entitlement for the year (net of unpaid leave of absence and exempt status)

Less: Claims made during the year

Less: Expired Amount at the beginning of the year

Current year’s ending balance
The “Current PDR Balance” is the amount available as at the end of the current entitlement year, without borrowing against future years.

The “Available PDR to be Borrowed” is the sum of future entitlements for the next four years (excluding the current year). Note that if you have a term appointment you may only borrow up to the end of your appointment term.

“Total PDR Entitlement” is the sum of the “Current PDR Balance” and the “Available PDR to be Borrowed”. This is the maximum amount you may claim for reimbursement.

11. When does my PDR entitlement expire, and how is the Expired Amount calculated in myPDR Summary?

The unused portion of the PDR Entitlement expires after five years from the year in which it was earned.

12. How do I determine if I have funds that will expire?

You will need to log in to the Faculty & Staff Self-Service portal and select myPDR Summary (faculty only) to view your balance information.  Follow the points below referring to the example that follows to determine if you have funds that will expire.

  • Take your current 2020 PDR balance amount (A) and subtract the sum total of your last four years’ entitlement amounts in this calculation (B).  Include entitlement years 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017.
  • If the resulting value is positive, you do have a full or partial unused fund entitlement amount earned in (C) Entitlement Year 2016 (2015/16 academic year). This is the amount that will expire if not claimed before the June 30 year-end.
  • If the resulting value is negative, you do not have any unused funds from Entitlement Year 2016 (2015/16 academic year). No expiry applies as you have already claimed the full value (if applicable) of your PDR entitlement amount for this particular carry forward period.

Example of how to determine if there is an unused fund amount from Entitlement Year 2016 (2015/16 academic year):

  1. $4767.60 (A)-$4,400 (B) = $367.60 (C).
  2. This positive result of $367.60 is the unused portion of the $1,100 (C) entitlement amount from the 2016 (2015/16) academic year. This $367.60 will expire if not claimed before June 30, 2020.

13. What should I do if I notice a discrepancy?

If you notice a discrepancy in the amounts stated in your PDR Summary based on your records, please contact the PDR Desk at or 604-822-2044. The discrepancy will be investigated and you will be informed of the outcome. Adjustments, if required, will be included in the next PDR summary statement.

14. Where can I find additional information?

Guidelines on eligibility and entitlement are available on the UBC Faculty Relations website. For further information relating to specific claims or account balances, please contact the PDR Desk at 604-822-2044 or

To Top

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.