Faculty Members and their administrators are able to access PDR balance information online.
Frequently Asked Questions
The FAQs below provide answers to questions you may have. If you have further questions please contact the PDR desk at email@example.com or 604-822-2044.
- myPDR Information
- myPDR Access – General
- myPDR Access – Steps
- myPDR Access – Department Administrators – Steps
- myPDR Access – Issues
- myPDR Access – Retired or on Leave
- PDR Calculation
- Statement Cut-Off Date and Frequency
- Claim Not Found in Statement
- Calculation of Balances
- Calculation of Expired Amount
- Additional Information
*For the purposes of this document, “faculty member” includes all members of the Faculty Association (professors, instructors, lecturers, librarians and program directors), except for Sessional Lecturers without continuing status.
myPDR Summary includes each faculty member’s annual PDR entitlement amount, the claims paid annually, any expired amount, and his or her current and available PDR balances. A maximum of 9 years is displayed. This includes the 5 years, including the present year that can be carried forward, and up to 5 years, including the present year, that can be borrowed ahead (if applicable). Before making a PDR claim, faculty members should check their available balance in myPDR Summary.
Eligible faculty members, with the exception of Sessional Lecturers, can access their PDR summary information via self-service. Sessional Lecturers can request their balances from the PDR Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or 604-822-2044.
Administrators in each of the units can also access the PDR summary for members within their unit.
- For assistance in using the Self-Service portal, please go to http://www.hr.ubc.ca/faculty-staff-resources/self-service/ .
- To register for a CWL ID, please go to www.cwl.ubc.ca/.
Step 2. Select “Faculty and Staff Self Service”. Click “Continue”.
Step 3. Inside the myPD and Learning window, click on “myPDR Summary(faculty only)“. You will automatically be taken to your PDR Summary.
Step 2. Select “Management Systems Portal”. Click “Continue”.
Step 3. Under the “HRMS Applications Home” section, click on “HRMS Live”. On the left-hand menu, select “Workforce Development” à “Faculty Events” à “Track Events” à “Professional Development Fund.”
Step 4. Search by Employee ID or Name to view the PDR Summary of faculty members within their unit.
There are several possible reasons why you cannot access your PDR Summary. These include, but are not limited to:
- You do not have an active appointment on HRMS at the time the PDR Summary statements were generated.
- You are not eligible to access the PDR funds.
- You are a Sessional Lecturer.
Faculty members who have retired or resigned from the University are no longer eligible for the PDR fund and as such can no longer access the PDR Summary information. If you are on leave, whether paid or unpaid, you can continue to access your PDR Summary in the Self Service Web portal.
If you commence or end employment with the University other than at the beginning or end of an Entitlement Year (July 1st to June 30th), you will receive a pro-rated entitlement. For example, if your employment commences on September 1st , then your PDR entitlement for the first year will be approximately $916. If your employment ends on September 30th, then your PDR entitlement for that year will be approximately $275.
The PDR entitlement is also affected by unpaid leaves of absence or periods where you are exempt from the faculty bargaining unit. For example, if you have an unpaid leave of absence from September 1st to March 31st of the following year, then your PDR entitlement for that year will be approximately $458.
The summary is updated monthly, on or around the 15th day of the following calendar month, and to reflect the information as of the last day of the previous month. The statement date can be found at the bottom left-hand corner of the summary, after the heading “Total PDR Statement as of.”
Only PDR claims processed by the PDR Desk as of the last day of the previous month will appear in the summary statement. If you submitted a claim last month which does not appear in the summary, the PDR Desk was not able to process it by the end of the previous month. Your claim will then appear in the following month’s PDR statement.
Balances are calculated using the following formula:
Previous year’s ending balance
Add: PDR Entitlement for the year (net of unpaid leave of absence and exempt status)
Less: Claims made during the year
Less: Expired Amount at the beginning of the year
Current year’s ending balance
The “Current PDR Balance” is the amount available as at the end of the current entitlement year, without borrowing against future years.
The “Available PDR to be Borrowed” is the sum of future entitlements for the next four years (excluding the current year). Note that if you have a term appointment you may only borrow up to the end of your appointment term.
“Total PDR Entitlement” is the sum of the “Current PDR Balance” and the “Available PDR to be Borrowed”. This is the maximum amount you may claim for reimbursement.
The unused portion of the PDR Entitlement expires after five years from the year in which it was earned.
12. How do I determine if I have funds that will expire?
You will need to log in to the Faculty & Staff Self-Service portal and select myPDR Summary (faculty only) to view your balance information. Follow the points below referring to the example that follows to determine if you have funds that will expire.
- Take your current 2018 PDR balance amount (A) and subtract the sum total of your last four years’ entitlement amounts in this calculation (B). Include entitlement years 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015.
- If the resulting value is positive, you do have a full or partial unused fund entitlement amount earned in (C) Entitlement Year 2014 (2013/14 academic year). This is the amount that will expire if not claimed before the June 30 year-end.
- If the resulting value is negative, you do not have any unused funds from Entitlement Year 2014 (2013/14 academic year). No expiry applies as you have already claimed the full value (if applicable) of your PDR entitlement amount for this particular carry forward period.
Example of how to determine if there is an unused fund amount from 2013/14 academic year:
- $5319.40 (A)-$4,400 (B) = $919.40.
- This positive result of $919.40 is the unused portion of the $1,100 (C) entitlement amount from the 2013/14 academic year. This $919.40 will expire if not claimed before June 30, 2018.
If you notice a discrepancy in the amounts stated in your PDR Summary based on your records, please contact the PDR Desk at email@example.com or 604-822-2044. The discrepancy will be investigated and you will be informed of the outcome. Adjustments, if required, will be included in the next PDR summary statement.
Guidelines on eligibility and entitlement are available on the UBC Faculty Relations website. For further information relating to specific claims or account balances, please contact the PDR Desk at 604-822-2044 or firstname.lastname@example.org.