The Length of Service (LOS) Career Progress (CP) award was established in 2011 with the first awards being processed effective July 1, 2011. This financial award is paid to those members eligible for Career Progress (CP) Increments with service in a CPI eligible rank for 20 and 25 years. The awards are funded through the Career Progress Increments and Performance Salary Adjustments pools and is awarded as per Article 2.03 of Part 2 of the Collective Agreement.
Administrators need to check the LOS CP data annually for their faculty members. Please refer to the LOS CP checking procedures.
To be eligible a faculty member must be in a rank eligible for CPI awards. Ranks which are not eligible to receive CPI are not entitled to length of service awards. Eligibility is based on continuous service as per the guidelines below. Members will receive the LOS CP on July 1 of the academic year in which they will reach their 20th or 25th anniversary. Members who have continuous service starting July 1 and have no breaks will receive their award LOS CP award on the July 1 exactly 20 or 25 years following their start date. Members who do not have a July 1 start date, but will reach their 20 or 25 year anniversary in the coming academic year will also receive their LOS CP award on the same July 1.
b) Current year 20 & 25 awards:
Those faculty members reaching 20 or 25 years as of June 30th will receive the full LOS CP award of 1/3 of a Career Progress unit effective July 1st.
LOS CP is funded from with the CP pool.
c) Retro-active Payments for members with LOS greater than 20 and or 25 years:
For those faculty who are returning to the bargaining unit after being exempt, and who have already passed either 20 or 25 years of eligible service will receive their LOS CP equally distributed over of two years. These “retro” payments (awards for years 21-24 and years 26 and above) are paid out as 50% of the portion owed to the member in each of those years. The retro payments are funded from the PSA pool in the same way as the Career Progress Carry Forward units.
For the purpose of calculating placement for LOS CP, service to the University includes:
- Any time as a faculty member in an eligible rank at UBC; and
- For UBCO transition faculty, any time served in an eligible rank at OUC is also applicable.
- A break of service of 12 months or one year as a 12 month lecturer will not interrupt “service”.
- Years spent in a reduced appointment count in full towards service.
For the purpose of calculating LOS, service to the University does not include:
- Time as a Sessional Lecturer;
- Unpaid personal leaves of more than two years; or
- Time spent in a position excluded from the faculty bargaining unit; or
- Unpaid sick leave and leave under the Income Replacement Program.
Continuous service is not cumulative. If a faculty member ends their employment with the University and returns to an eligible rank at a later date, the start date for their continuous service for the LOS award is their return date.
Calculation of Years of Service
The years of service calculation is based on the academic year July 1 to June 30.
In the following examples assume there are no breaks in service:
- A member hired between July 1, 1994 and June 30, 1995 will receive the 25 years of service as of July 1, 2019.
- A member hired between July 1, 1999 and June 30, 2000 will receive the 20 years of service award as of July 1, 2019.