Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

General Questions

Career Progress Related

General Faculty Salary Increase Questions

When are increases effective?

Increases are normally effective on July 1. In the case of a Retention award this can be any date.

to top

When does the increase process begin?

The process typically begins in early spring, usually in February or March, when units produce & check the Career Progress for their members. The process may begin late in a year in which the Agreement on Salaries and Economic Benefits is bargained.

to top

Is a faculty member hired in the month of June eligible for the increase as of July?

Yes. All faculty members who are members of the bargaining unit on June 30 and July 1 are eligible for the faculty salary increase and all applicable components.

to top

Career Progress Related

Who is eligible to receive Career Progress Units (CPU)?

All full-time faculty members with an appointment of one year or more in the following ranks are eligible for CPU as long as they are active on June 30 and July 1 in that year:

  • 12-month Lecturer
  • Instructor
  • Senior Instructor
  • Professorial ranks
  • Program Directors
  • Librarians

to top

Our department has just hired an Assistant Professor with no previous experience. Where does she fit on the Career Progress Increase Scale?

A new hire with no previous experience at the rank of Assistant Professor will start at year zero on the scale. If the individual was hired on July 1, 2015  they will have completed one year as of June 30, 2016 and therefore be entitled to the units assigned to year 1 (2.0 units) on July 1, 2016.

to top

Our department has just hired an Associate Professor who previously held an Associate Professor appointment at another university. How do I indicate this to Faculty Relations and why is this important in relation to Career Progress entitlement?

The year(s) of experience in an equivalent rank must be indicated in the Previous Years in Rank box on the Faculty Appointment Form (Word) sent to Faculty Relations to process the hire. A Years in Rank form (Word) should accompany the appointment form providing details of the prior experience. Please note that the Head or Dean must sign the Years in Rank form.

It is important to correctly assign previous years in rank for a few reasons: 1) to ensure that a faculty member is correctly placed on the Career Progress Scale for salary increases; 2) to ensure that starting salaries are appropriate; and 3) to ensure that all appointees are treated fairly and to avoid future salary anomalies and inequities; new appointees with prior experience who are placed at the bottom of the Career Progress Scale are placed at an advantage over new appointees whose experience is solely at UBC.

to top

Who can assign previous years in rank?

Previous years in rank should be assigned by the academic unit Head or Dean.

to top

Dr. X was promoted to full professor July 1, 2016, after completing only 3 years as an Associate Professor. What happens to the units remaining in the Associate Professor position and what will his Career Progress entitlement look like for July 2016?

Dr. X’s unused units from his Associate Professor position will be carried forward to his Professor position and paid out at maximum of 1 unit per year. Since he completed 3 years as an Associate Professor the remaining unused units will total 5.5 (the total of years 4 to 8). On July 1, 2014 his entitlement will be as follows:

2016 CPI Carry Forward Bank
1.0 1.0 4.5

to top

Our department hired Dr. W as of July 1, 2015. This faculty member had 5 previous years in rank at the time of hire, but yet his CPI is reflected as year 1 of July 1, 2016. Why is this and how can this be corrected?

There are 2 likely reasons:

1) No previous years in rank was indicated on the appointment form hiring Dr. W.


2) Previous years in rank was indicated on the form but it was not entered on HRMS.

If no previous years in rank was indicated on the appointment form, a completed Years in Rank form (Word) form should be forwarded to Faculty Relations as soon as possible. Once we have received it, we will arrange to have HRMS updated.

If previous years in rank was indicated on the form, please call the appropriate Assistant Manager in Faculty Relations to inform them of the discrepancy. We will research it and arrange to have HRMS updated.

to top

Can CPI be withheld?

Yes, career progress increments may be withheld when a faculty member is not demonstrating career progress. The Agreement is clear that “Career Progress Increments (CPI) may be withheld if, in the period in question, the member is demonstrating unsatisfactory progress in his or her career, based on the relevant criteria as outlined in Section 4 of the Agreement on Conditions of Appointment for Faculty “. If CPI is to be withheld, then the member must receive written reasons for such a decision in advance and the Department must notify Faculty Relations in writing. Faculty Relations is required to inform the Faculty Association. Note that decisions to withhold CPI remain grievable under Article 20 of the Agreement on the Framework for Collective Bargaining .

to top

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.