To ensure that the correct Career Progress Increment (CPI) and Length of Service (LOS) CP is processed for faculty members in the annual Faculty Salary Increase process, administrators must check the accuracy of the CP data for their faculty members. CPI & LOS reports exist in HRMS that administrators will need to run so that they can check the CPI & LOS CP data for their faculty members. The checking process is as follows:
- CPI & LOS CP data for the current year is loaded (normally by early February, but is delayed in bargaining years).
- Faculty Relations will send an email confirmation to the Dean’s office that the Career Progress data for the current year has been loaded to HRMS. As applicable the Dean’s Office will inform their units.
- Units run the 2 CP and 2 LOS CP queries on HRMS and check.
- Errors should be reported to Faculty Relations (normally by the end of March, but the deadline date may vary) to ensure that the salary increase spreadsheets are produced with the correct CPI and LOS CP data attributed to faculty members.
What administrators should check for – Career Progress:
- New Hires: check that new eligible faculty hired between the previous July 1 and current June 30 have a current year CPI. Ensure that those with previous years in rank have been placed in the correct year. When the CPI load is done the system assumes that an individual is hired at year 0 and therefore will be at year 1 in their rank with the corresponding CPI units as of the current July. However, if a Years in Rank form was supplied to Faculty Relations, this data should have been entered on HRMS and the new hire will have a CPI year greater than year one.
- Promotions: 1) Check that members who were promoted effective last July 1 appear in their new rank and correct year in rank.2) Check those members who have been approved for promotion this year are appearing in the correct rank and year.
- No CPI: ensure that anyone appearing on the NO CPI list (Query 025) is not eligible for CPI.
- Ineligible members with current CPI: Check that individuals who are NOT eligible for current year CPI do not have a current CPI row. Individuals in this category include part-time members, resignations, retirements & non-reappointments with effective dates prior to July 1 and individuals holding exempt appointments (Deans, AVPs).
- CPI Year is not equal to current CPI year: The majority of faculty members will appear with a CPI row for the current July, however some may appear with a CPI date other than the current July. Normally these will be individuals who at some point in the past were eligible for CPI, but are now currently exempt (i.e., currently holds a Dean, Associate VP or VP position, or they previously held an eligible appointment and have returned to UBC in an ineligible appointment). Individuals appearing with no current year CPI and who are eligible for CPI are in error.
What administrators should check for – LOS CP:
- Correct Years of Service: All faculty members who are eligible for CPI should also have an LOS CP row for the same year. Members however, only receive an LOS CP award as of completion of 20 or 25 years of eligible service. Administrators should ensure that the LOS CP year listed for their faculty members is correct and that it reflects their total eligible years.
Any anomalies or errors need to be reported to Faculty Relations. Email communication is preferred – please remember to include Name & Employee ID. The deadline for reporting errors or anomalies affecting the July 2014 increase has not yet been set.
If the CPI data for your unit has been thoroughly checked in previous years, then you will only need to check the above items. If the CPI for your unit has not been thoroughly checked then the CPI for each faculty member should be reviewed to ensure they are at the correct rank and year in rank.
The HRMS reports are as follows:
Report 024 – Career Progress Points: This report provides a list of active faculty members at the rank of 12-month Lecturer or higher, who have any CPI data entered on HRMS. The data appearing in each of the columns should be self-explanatory, however if you require further information on the fields refer to the descriptions in the CPI Report 024 Checking document.
Report 025 – Career Progress No Points: This report provides a list of active faculty members at the rank of 12-month Lecturer or higher who do NOT have CPI data entered on HRMS. Individuals appearing on this list may or may not be eligible for CPI.
Report 026 – LOS CP Points: This report provides a list of active faculty members at the rank of 12-month Lecturer or higher, who have LOS CP data entered on HRMS.
Report 027 – LOS CP No Points: This report provides a list of active faculty members at the rank of 12-month Lecturer or higher who do NOT have LOS CP data entered on HRMS. Individuals appearing on this list may or may not be eligible for LOS CP.
The CP reports may be run at anytime during the year, and may be run more than once. Remember that CP data for the current year will not be loaded until approximately early February. Also keep in mind that only faculty members who are active as of the date you run the report will appear.
Although only full-time faculty are eligible for CPI & LOS CP, the HRMS reports include full & part-time faculty members. This is so that administrators can use these reports to double-check that those members who should be receiving CP & LOS CP are and that those members who are not eligible will not receive either award. The full/part-time status is noted in the column entitled “FTE” – full-time faculty will have an FTE of 1.0.
Information on how to run queries can be found in Chapter 4 of the HRMS Navigation & Inquiry Guide.
Remember also that you can view complete CPI data for a faculty member on the Career Progress panel on HRMS, which is located under Workforce Development / Faculty Events / Track Events / Faculty Career Progress. Below is an example of the panel: