Administrators & Deans take note: now is the time to sign up your new academic leaders for the 2018/19 Academic Leadership Development Program (ALDP).
The Academic Leadership Development Program (ALDP) is an annual, cohort-based program sponsored by the Office of the Provost and open to all new Heads, Deans, Associate Deans and academic leaders in related roles at UBC Vancouver. The Program begins with the two-day intensive “Boot Camp, Part I: Getting Started as an Academic Leader at UBC” on August 27th & 28th, 2018. Over the course of the 2018/19 academic year, ALDP offers:
- Two intensive “Boot Camps” in late August and early December, which focus on leadership fundamentals new academic leaders need in order to establish themselves well in their roles
- Three workshops focusing on broad leadership topics such as “Engaging with conflict,” “Leading change,” and “Transitioning to Year Two”
- Twelve breakfast- and lunch-time studios focusing on specific topics relevant to needs of academic leaders, such as “Cultivating effective faculty relations,” “Community engagement”, “Supporting research in your unit,” and “The changing landscape of teaching and learning”
- Leadership styles assessment and an opportunity to receive reflective, individual feedback on leadership development, using an Appreciative Inquiry approach
- Confidential, one-on-one executive coaching to support cohort members in identifying and achieving their leadership goals
- Online learning modules accessible through the ALDP Canvas site
ALDP alumni have reported that the Program has helped them become more effective leaders and derive more personal satisfaction from their leadership roles.
Administrators, Heads, and Deans are encouraged to highlight and offer ALDP to faculty when recruiting for academic leadership positions. For questions about the Program and to enrol a new academic leader in the 2018/19 Program, please contact Julianna Chen, ALDP Program Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 604-827-2783. Further information about ALDP can also be found on the Program website, http://aldp.ubc.ca/.