Archives by date

You are browsing the site archives by date.

Progress Through The Ranks Increase 2014

The Faculty Association and the University have agreed that the University will immediately start the process of implementing the July 1, 2014, PTR increases. While the University will commence the PTR process as soon as possible, it will take some time for the process to be completed and for the increments to actually be paid.

Progress Through the Ranks Increase 2015

The implementation of the 2015 Merit & PSA must wait until we have a new Collective Agreement, however, the review process needs to begin shortly. Departments should ask their faculty members to submit their annual summary of activity and C.V. for the review year (typically April 1, 2014 to March 31, 2015). We recommend that the evaluation process commence as soon as all annual reports have been received. Procedures for merit and PSA are found in the Collective Agreement and on the Faculty Relations website.

Immigration Updates

Employer Transition Plans No Longer Required

Our September 2014 Special Immigration Update outlined a new requirement for Transition Plans which had to be submitted with each Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) application. Employment and Social Development Canada has announced that Transition Plans will no longer be required for University LMIA applications. However, any university opting out of the Transition Plan is required to submit an annual report to the Association of Universities & Colleges of Canada (AUCC).

The usual requirements for obtaining an LMIA still apply for all those positions not otherwise exempt.

Foreign academics who have worked in rank for at least two years can also apply for PR status prior to their arrival in Canada through the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP). Through the PNP a foreign worker can obtain a letter of support for a work permit instead of an LMIA.

For details on the foreign academic hiring process, see the Faculty Relations Immigration page.

Further details about the program are available on the CIC website.

New Employer Compliance Fee & Rules For LMIA-Exempt Appointments

Employers seeking to hire foreign workers through the LMIA-exempt process are now required to submit compliance information and a fee of $230 to CIC. This new compliance program is aimed at ensuring employers hiring LMIA exempt individuals are taking reasonable steps toward hiring Canadians similar to those required by the LMIA process. Employers who are found to be non-compliant may be subject to penalties imposed by CIC.

This will primarily affect postdoctoral fellows, clinical fellows and visiting faculty, the process for which is handled in the departments.

The Employer Compliance process for LMIA-exempt appointments is as follows:

  • The employer pays the compliance fee online and obtains a receipt number.
  • The employer completes the Offer of Employment form (IMM5802) with all required information including the payment receipt number. Template forms for Visiting Faculty and Fellows are found on the Faculty Relations website.
  • Choose the ‘submit’ button at the bottom of the form and this will generate an automatic email to CIC. This form does not have to be signed in order to submit it. The employer emails the form. If you wish to send a signed form, print the form prior to choosing submit, have it signed and then attach this version to the email.
  • The employer provides the foreign academic with a copy of the Offer of Employment form (IMM5802) and the Fee Receipt to include with his or her work permit application. The department also needs to provide an offer letter to the Visitor/Fellow.

Faculty Relations (Vancouver campus) and Human Resources (Okanagan campus) will continue to manage the process for regular faculty members whose appointments are LMIA exempt.

The compliance fee can be reimbursed if the work permit application is refused by CIC or withdrawn by the University. If the offer of employment is withdrawn by the University, CIC must be notified by email (the University must forward the original Offer of Employment submission to the same CIC email address with the word “withdrawal” added to the subject line, and a written reason for withdrawal within the body of the email).

Exemptions to the compliance fee are granted for some categories, including Canada Research Chairs (CRC), and Canada Excellence Research Chairs (CERC).

CIC plans to create an online portal in July, 2015, to centralize and simplify the Employer Compliance scheme for LMIA-Exempt hiring.

The $230 fee does not apply to foreign workers who already hold open work permits. However, CIC has also introduced a new $100 fee for open work permit applications. This fee can also be reimbursed under the same conditions as above.

For more information about this process, see the CIC International Mobility Program.

Express Entry system for applications for Permanent Resident Status

As of Jan. 1, Citizenship and Immigration Canada’s new Express Entry program for permanent residency is in effect. The Express Entry program aims to streamline the process of obtaining permanent residency for more highly qualified applicants.

The application process requires candidates to submit an online profile detailing their personal education and work experience. All applicants must also complete an English language test before they can start the application process. CIC chooses the top candidates from this pool of profiles on an ongoing basis and sends each an Invitation to Apply (ITA). Once an ITA is received, the candidate has 60 days to complete an online application for permanent residency. These applications will be processed in six months or less.

The CIC chooses the top candidates using a points system. While points are awarded for numerous factors, candidates who already have a job arranged in Canada with an LMIA or have been nominated through the PNP program are given the advantage of an additional 600 points out of a possible total of 1,200 (see CIC’s Comprehensive Ranking System). Given this advantage, Faculty Relations strongly encourages foreign academics to apply for permanent residency through Express Entry. To date CIC has had several rounds of invitations with the lowest points varying between 808 and 886.

Express Entry can be used for the Federal Skilled Worker program for applicants with work experience outside Canada, Canadian Experience Class for applicants with at least one year work experience in Canada, and the BC Provincial Nominee Program for applicants with at least two years’ experience in rank in Canada.

Bridging Open Work Permits for Permanent Residency Applicants

Foreign academics already in Canada with work permits who have applied for permanent residency status but have not yet received a decision may qualify for a Bridging Work Permit. The program is available for permanent residency applicants in Canada whose permits are set to expire within four months. For details about eligibility and the application process, see CIC Bridging Open Work Permits.

Work Permits Available for Spousal and Common-Law Permanent Residency Applicants

In December CIC announced a one-year pilot program granting open work permits to permanent residency applicants in the spouse or common-law partner in Canada (SPCLC) class of applicants who have not yet received a decision. Individuals who have applied for permanent residency within the SPCLC class should complete the Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay, or Remain in Canada as a Worker form.

Permanent Resident Status – What To Do Once It Has Been Obtained

Once Citizenship & Immigration Canada (CIC) approves an application for Permanent Resident (PR) status and the Faculty member has completed the landing process, the CIC will issue a Permanent Resident Card. As soon as a faculty member receives this they will need to apply for a new Social Insurance Number (SIN) from their nearest Service Canada Office. If the application is made in person the new SIN will normally be issued right away and will replace the previous 900-numbered SIN which reflected temporary resident status.

A copy of the PR card (front & back) and a copy of confirmation of the new SIN must be provided to Faculty Relations and Payroll.

Information regarding obligations for Permanent Residents of Canada is found on the CIC website.

WorkBC Job Postings

As announced in the November 2014 Newsletter, UBC has one central account that is used for all job postings on WorkBC. Any departments seeking to post on WorkBC should contact Nicky Hogg, to gain access to the account. Please do not create new accounts for the purpose of posting UBC positions, as WorkBC will freeze that account until it can be merged with the main UBC account.

Adjunct & Clinical Appointments

A reminder that Adjunct Professor and Clinical Faculty appointments are part-time positions for individuals who have achieved distinction or particular success in their fields outside the university context, and are currently engaged in their profession. When appointing paid adjunct or clinical positions, remember to select the part-time option on the appointment form and indicate the FTE amount. For further guidance on the nature of these appointments, see the Faculty Relations’ titles and ranks and University Policy 42.

FTE Credits for Sessional Lecturers

A reminder that units are responsible for providing sessional lecturers with updated reports of their accumulated service (FTE) at the beginning of each appointment (Part 7, Article 4.05 of the Collective Agreement). This is important both for keeping sessionals informed of their accumulation of FTE, and their continuing status, as well as equipping department heads to effectively manage resources. When tracking accumulated service, keep in mind that some sessionals may lecture in multiple departments. An FTE statement has been added to the sessional offer letters, and administrators will need to add the total cumulative FTE as indicated.

Administrators should review the FTE status of sessional lecturers on at least a semi-annual basis and at least 4 months prior to a reappointment. To view this information in ISIS, click on Reports (along the top menu) and choose Total UBC FTE Months List. Your faculty name should automatically populate. Choose “All” and a list will appear with all sessionals in your department. The FTE listed is university-wide and that’s the number you should enter in the letter. For questions or clarification regarding a specific sessional lecturer, contact a Faculty Relations Assistant Manager at the Vancouver campus, or an HR Associate on the Okanagan campus.

Professional Development Reimbursement – Expiry of Funds

For Regular Faculty members and Sessionals with Continuing Status: A reminder that unused PDR funds earned in 2010/2011 must be used and claimed by June 30, 2015. Claims for funds earned in 2010/2011 not received by Payment & Procurement Services (PPS) on the Vancouver campus by the cut-off date of June 30, 2015, will be forfeited by the individual.

For Sessionals without Continuing Status: In the case of the Non-CS Sessionals, unspent funds expire after two years, rather than five years. The expiry dates for the non-CS funds are: 1) June 30 for unspent PDR funds from the Feb. 15 assessment date, and 2) Dec. 31 for unspent PDR funds from the Aug. 15 and Oct. 15 assessment dates.

All faculty members (except Sessionals) can view their PDR fund balance online. Sessional Lecturers who wish to know their PDR fund balances can contact Barry Yee at (PPS PDR ). For further information on PDR funds, please visit the Faculty Relations website. Finally, it should be noted that claims must be submitted within 12 months of that expense being incurred.