As a public sector post-secondary institution in British Columbia, UBC’s collective bargaining mandate is set by the provincial government.
2019 Sustainable Services Negotiating Mandate
The Sustainable Services Negotiating Mandate applies to all public sector employers with unionized employees whose collective agreements expire on or after Dec. 31, 2018.
- The Sustainable Services Negotiating Mandate is about improving the delivery of services for people in B.C., and balancing the need for fair and reasonable wage increases with outcomes that are affordable and managed within the fiscal plan.
- The Mandate is designed to support government’s core priorities and enhance and modernize the delivery of services that British Columbians rely on.
- It ensures the fiscal sustainability of our province while providing fair compensation.
Elements of the 2019 mandate:
- Three-year term
- General wage increases of 2% in each year
- Ability to negotiate conditional and modest funding that can be used to drive tangible service improvements for British Columbians. An example would be targeted funds to address existing, chronic labour market challenges where employers need to meet service delivery commitments or changes that achieve service enhancements such as innovations, modernization or efficiencies.
Read about this mandate, and past bargaining mandates, at the provincial government’s Public Sector Bargaining Mandates & Agreements page.