A Coach is focused on providing objective, honest feedback, stimulating your creativity and internal resources, and holding the focus of your goal as you work together. While all of UBC’s Coaches have been screened to ensure their skills and qualifications, you must determine the fit between you and the coach you are meeting because this coaching relationship is confidential and personal.
Below are some ideas of for selecting a Coach:
- Would you like to work with a Coach who works at UBC or an off-campus Coach?
- Would you like to be coached on the phone or in person? Some Coaches work exclusively on the phone, others work in person, or use a combination of both approaches
- What type of experience and specialty do you want your coach to have?
When you interview your prospective Coach, the coach may ask you the following questions:
- Do you have a clear idea of the goals you want to work on, or do you want to explore your goals in the coaching?
- What are your expectations from coaching?
- If you have worked with a Coach before, consider what worked, what didn’t work, and what you would like to be different.
- What is your level of commitment to follow through with the coaching?
- How would you like a Coach to work with you? For example, how much structure do you need in order to feel you’re progressing? Do you prefer following a structured program or do you prefer “free flow”?
When you interview your prospective Coach, some questions to ask the coach may include:
- How does the coach work with clients?
- What does the coach do best?
- What kind of results have past clients achieved with this coach?
- Why does this coach want to work with me?
How to Assess “Fit”
- You feel comfortable
- The conversation flows well
- You feel heard and understood
- You understand the Coach’s points
- You feel energized
- You look forward to your next session
- You feel concerns or doubts or worries
- You have trouble understanding the Coach’s direction
- You feel led in a direction you are not comfortable with
- You feel the Coach is not listening to you
- You energy level is low
- You are unsure if you want to have another session
To meet our coaches, go to Community of Coaches to view their profiles.
If you have any questions about Registration or Selecting a Coach, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 604.822.3351 for assistance.