sexual assault awareness month
By Breeonne Baxter on January 12, 2018
Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM) at UBC began in 2009 as a student initiative, and has since grown to include programming for all employees at the Vancouver and Okanagan campuses each January. This month, everyone is encouraged to join the conversation that is happening in the media, in our communities, and around the world. The goal of SAAM is to raise awareness and understanding about sexual assault and what we can do to help prevent it.
- Access the SAAM toolkit for newsletter and social media messages, digital signage, email signatures, printable Denim Day stickers and posters.
- For the Vancouver calendar of SAAM events, visit ubc.ca/saam.
- For Okanagan events, visit ok.ubc.ca/saam.html.
Key events you can attend
- Jan. 15: SAAM Keynote, featuring guest speaker Farrah Khan
- Jan. 17: Denim Day, an opportunity to show your support for ending sexual assault on campus at worldwide
- Jan. 25: Parenting Tips, a free session on how to talk to your kids about sexual health, facilitated by certified sexual health educator Miranda Massie
If you are a survivor of sexual assault, or to learn how you can support survivors, please contact:
- UBC’s Sexual Violence Prevention and Response Office
- Counselling services through UBC’s Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
Thank you for helping to create an inclusive and respectful culture at UBC.