Staff and Faculty
By Breeonne Baxter on November 29, 2010
The participants for the 2011 Leave for Change program have been selected. They are:
- Angie Gerst (Continuing Studies): Bolivia (municipal compost education program)
- Nancy Hogan (Health Services and Policy Research): Botswana (human resource management)
- Merrilee Hughes (Nursing): Nepal (fund-raising advisor)
- Amy Phillips (Orthopedics): Nepal (SPSS database advisor)
- Nicole Ronan (CTLT): Ghana (ICT needs advisor)
- Robin Ryan (Enrolment Services): Advisor in Photography-Based Marketing
Keep an eye on the Leave for Change blog for updates, as these volunteers will be heading out on their volunteer assignments in early 2011.
By Kathy Pang on November 23, 2010
The latest issues of the Faculty Pension Plan’s Pension News and the Staff Pension Plan Update are available online. Faculty Pension Plan members will have received their newsletter with their Q3 2010 member statements in mid-November. Staff Pension Plan members will receive their newsletter starting the week of November 22. Both newsletters consist of important articles for members regarding their respective Plans and contain relevant news on pensions and investments.
By Breeonne Baxter on October 28, 2010
Elections for the Staff Pension Plan Board of Directors and the Faculty Pension Plan Board of Trustees are now underway.
Exercise your vote in this year’s elections
Staff Pension Plan Directors Election
Election packages were mailed to plan members on Oct 28.
Voting closes midnight Nov 25.
Vote online at the SPP website.
Faculty Pension Plan Trustee Election
Election packages were mailed to plan members on Oct 20.
Voting closes midnight Nov 15.
Vote online at the FPP website.
By Breeonne Baxter on October 28, 2010
The Fall 2010 issue of Benefits FYI is here! Check out this edition, which features stories on:
- New Sun Life sign-in page for plan members
- The UBC Health Challenge
- Benefits at the UBC Thrive Wellness Fair
Read Benefits FYI: Fall 2010 online.
By Breeonne Baxter on October 27, 2010
The Amazing Race Health Challenge is back! Join UBC’s staff and faculty community in this year’s race to a healthier you. The challenge is 5 weeks in length beginning November 8, 2010 continuing until December 12, 2010. The challenge is open to all UBC staff and faculty members.
On your own, or in teams of 3 to 10, collect points by completing a variety of activities each day. These include anything from eating fruits and vegetables to completing a Sudoku puzzle. You may already be completing some of the included activities on a daily basis so why not join your colleagues in this year’s challenge to improve health and wellness among staff and faculty? The challenge includes health activities in all five dimensions of wellness: physical activity, nutrition, intellectual, psychological and social/community.
For details on how to register, visit http://thrive.ubc.ca/amazing-race/
By Breeonne Baxter on September 13, 2010
UBC Athletics has a number of offerings for UBC Staff and Faculty during the school year. UBC Employees can access Athletics and Recreation programs such as:
- $5 tickets for all UBC Thunderbird games
- Access to Intramural Programs
- Discounts on UBC REC programs
- Discounted access to the UBC Aquatic Centre, the Doug Mitchell Thunderbird Sports Centre, and UBC Birdcoop.
For a full list of Athletics and Recreation opportunities on the Vancouver campus for Staff and Faculty, view the brochure (pdf).
By Breeonne Baxter on August 20, 2010
- The New Benefits Website
- Sun Life Closes Edmonton Office
- Going Green Update
- New Requirements for Orthopaedic Shoes and Orthotics
By Kathy Pang on August 10, 2010
Faculty Pension Plan members will start receiving their 2010 second quarter newsletter and statement packages this week.
In this issue of the Pension News:
- “Paving the Path: A Look at Retirement Planning”
- Upcoming Retirement Workshops
- Market Commentary
- Fund Performance and Composition
- Account Requests at myPension
- Trustee Election
- FPP Info Seminar at Okanagan Campus
View the FPP 2010 Second Quarter newsletter.
By Breeonne Baxter on June 14, 2010
If you’re thinking about retirement, check out the HR website at http://hr.ubc.ca/retiring/ for information about transitioning into retirement.
By Breeonne Baxter on June 8, 2010
Moving to a new house or apartment can be a busy and chaotic process. Once the dust has settled and you’ve managed to find the coffee cups, make sure to change your address with UBC, to ensure that you’ll continue receiving all information:
Faculty and Staff Self-Service
The one-stop address change location is in UBC’s Faculty and Staff Self-Service portal. Under the “myPersonal Info” tab, select “Home and Mailing Address” to update your address. While you’re there, make sure that your emergency contacts and email address are up-to-date as well!
Medical Services Plan (UBC Group Enrolment)
If you are enrolled in the provincial Medical Services Plan through UBC group enrollment (a direct debit from your UBC paycheque), you will need to contact Payroll to change your address on the MSP system:
- Fill out Section E of the MSP change form, and submit the form to Financial Services (Forms and addresses are available at the Benefits Forms page).
- Email Payroll, indicating that you need to change your address with MSP. You can find your payroll portfolio representative contact information online.