Health Wellbeing and Benefits
By Breeonne Baxter on August 8, 2017
The August issue of the Healthy UBC Newsletter is now available.
- Making Space Work for Your Health
- Nurturing Nature and Its Impact on Overall Health and Wellbeing
- When is the Best Time to Meditate?
- Live Smoke Free: Smoking Cessation Benefits
- Free Events This Month: August 2017
- Community Health Events: August 2017
- August’s Healthy Recipes and Tips
- Fitting in Fitness: Summer Solutions
- Alive@Work: August 2017
By Chelsey Maher on May 25, 2017
The SPP Pension Fair takes place on Wednesday, June 21 from 11:30 a.m. to 1:15 p.m. The fair will be held in the Robert H. Lee Alumni Centre [map]. This is a drop-in event; no RSVP is required.
The Pension Fair is a great opportunity for members to learn more about their pension plan and increase their pension knowledge. We are also pleased to have the following groups in attendance:
- UBC Retirement and Survivor Benefits
- UBC Employee and Family Assistance Program
- UBC Investment Management Trust (IMANT) Inc.
- CARP (Canadian Association for Retired Persons)
Visit the SPP Pension Fair event website for more details.
By Breeonne Baxter on February 14, 2017
The February 2017 issue of the Benefits FYI is now available.
- Benefits Fraud and How It Affects You: Sun Life’s Delisted Providers
- The Importance of Mental Health for Overall Wellness
- Having or Adopting a Child – Am I Eligible for Leave and Benefits?
- Benefits Coverage While Travelling and Download the Latest Medi-Passport Brochure
- Claiming Medical Expenses on Your Tax Returns and 2016 Tax Receipts (T4/T4A)
- Free Health Check-ups: Take Advantage In-Person and Online Health Assessments
- Walk or Run Your Way To a Smoke-Free Life
- Start The Year Right with Healthy Eating – How Your UBC Benefits Can Help
- Humans of Human Resources: Robert Boudreau
- Wellbeing Story: A Mindful Team
By Breeonne Baxter on November 30, 2016
The Winter 2016 issue of the Benefits FYI is now available.
- Important Changes to Medical Services Plan Premium effective Jan. 1, 2017
- Are You Separating or Getting a Divorce? Understand What Happens to Your Benefits
- Optional Life Insurance Rates Remain Unchanged for the Upcoming Year
- UBC Faculty & Staff Discount on Home & Tenant Insurance with TD Insurance
- Do You Have a Dependent Child Who is Thinking of Attending UBC? Attend an Information Session on Dec. 1, 2016
- Health, Fitness, and Family Discounts for UBC Staff & Faculty
- UBC Signs Groundbreaking Wellbeing Charter During Thrive Week
- End of Year Claims Reminders
- Sun Life Wants to Reward You for Making Healthy Lifestyle Choices
- Humans of Human Resource: Kristin Cacchioni
By Breeonne Baxter on September 26, 2016
Today, we have launched our new Workplace Wellbeing & Benefits site.
To reflect the new approach to health and wellbeing at UBC, we have built a new and improved site for faculty and staff to access details about their UBC benefits, and ways to be healthy at work and in your personal lives.
New Site Features
This section consolidates the previous benefits section of the HR website, and includes details for the active and retiree plans, as well as how to get started, and how to make a claim.
With our Life Events section, we focus on providing information on common life events that might necessitate changes in your benefits.
- Moving to British Columbia
- Marriage & Common Law
- Separation & Divorce
- Having or Adopting a Child
- Dependent Children Between 19 & 25
- Illness & Injury
- Death & Terminal Illness
- Working Past Age 65
- Leaving UBC
This section brings together information on services provided by the University to employees for health in the workplace.
- Accidents in the Workplace
- Occupational & Preventive Health
- Healthy Workplaces Initiatives Fund
- Remain at Work/Return to Work Program
- Personal Safety on Campus
- UBC Thrive
- Breastfeeding Friendly Spaces at UBC
This section has information for individuals who are interested in learning more about their personal physical, mental and nutritional health.
This page contains information about our upcoming health and wellbeing events.
For years, we’ve heard from our audience that a lot of UBC’s terminology can be confusing for those who are new or who do not interact with the services frequently. We have created this A-Z listing page to help you find information based on what you’re looking for.
We invite you to look at the new site, and if you have any feedback, please let us know in our feedback survey.
By Breeonne Baxter on May 18, 2016
The Summer 2016 issue of the Benefits FYI is now available.
- Tips For Applying for Tuition Waivers
- Registered Clinical Counsellors Added to the Extended Health Plan
- There’s Still Time to Sign Up for a Free Heart Health Assessment – Reasons for Taking the Assessment and What to Expect
- Health Benefits Coverage for Students During the Summer Months
- Health Coverage for Postsecondary Students Studying Abroad
- Know Before You Go: Travel Benefits for UBC Faculty & Staff
- Join the 2016 Pick Your Peak Stair Challenge!
- Top Paramedical Claims by Practitioner in 2015 and Ways to Make Claims
- Protect Yourself Against Unexpected Costs with a Dental Predetermination
- Humans of Human Resources: Tena McKenzie
By Breeonne Baxter on May 3, 2016
The May issue of the Healthy UBC Newsletter is now available.
- Let’s Talk About Sex…Maybe
- Are You Health Literate? Seven Tricks to Improve Your Personal Health Literacy
- Tackling Information Overload
- New! Free Mental Health Resources from Shepell
- Free Events This Month: May 2016
- Community Health News: May 2016
- Celebrating Mothers: Thriving Campus
- High Energy Snacks: May’s Healthy Recipes and Tips
- Alive@Work: May 2016
- Get Outdoors: Fitting in Fitness
Want health news once a week? Become a UBC Health Contact.
By Breeonne Baxter on January 13, 2016
The January issue of the Healthy UBC Newsletter is now available.
- Top Ways to Stay Motivated in 2016
- A SMART Guide to Goal Setting
- Join the Online Mindfulness Movement Today!
- Resolution Reboot
- Thriving Faculty featuring Dr. Joy Butler
- Make the Most of Your PD Funds
- Championship Winning Coach Blake Nill: Thriving Thunderbird
- January’s Healthy Recipes
- Fitting in Fitness: January 2016
- Healthy UBC Events: January 2016
- Community Health News: January 2016
By Breeonne Baxter on November 24, 2015
The Winter issue of the Benefits FYI is now available.
- Changes to MSP Rates Effective Jan. 1, 2016
- Employee & Family Assistance Program: Counselling Services
- Claims Deadline Reminder: Extended Health and Health Spending Account
- Do You Coordinate Your Extended Health and Dental Care Claims? Important Changes on How Reimbursement is Calculated
- Are You Heart Healthy? Say Yes with CAMMPUS and Attend an Information Session or Sign Up for a Free Cardiovascular Assessment
- Decrease to UBC’s Optional Life Insurance Rates for 2016
- Sun Life Makes Claiming Easier: Photo Submission for Mobile App Claims Now Available
- Do You Have a Dependent Child Thinking of Attending UBC?
- BC Services Card: Name Issue
- How We Thrive at UBC
- Online Mindfulness Training Coming to Faculty and Staff (Vancouver campus)
- Benefits Stories: Alex’s Story
- Humans of Human Resources: Margaret Leathley
By Chelsey Maher on November 23, 2015
The Faculty Pension Plan (FPP) would like to congratulate Dr. Robert Heinkel and Mr. Vijay Verma, who have both been re-elected as members of the FPP Board of Trustees in the recent election. Their upcoming terms of office are from January 1, 2016 to December 31, 2019. Thank you to all candidates and members who participated in this year’s election.