Posted by: Breeonne Baxter | February 21, 2013
Do you have outstanding colleagues at UBC? Consider nominating them for the President’s Staff Award for Excellence and the President’s Staff Awards (Vancouver campus). The nomination deadline is April 5, 2013.
The President’s Service Award for Excellence is the top award presented to UBC Staff in recognition of excellence in personal achievements and contributions to UBC and to the vision and goals of the University.
The UBC Vancouver President’s Staff Awards recognizes the personal achievements and contributions of staff to UBC and to the vision and goals of the University.
Go to the President’s Awards for Staff page for full details and nomination papers.
Filed under: Focus on People, Recognition, Staff, University of British Columbia | Tags: awards, recognition
Posted by: Breeonne Baxter | September 4, 2012
We are now accepting applications for the 2013 Leave for Change volunteer program. The deadline for applications is Oct. 5, 2012.
Vancouver campus information session:
Date: Sept. 19, 2012
Time: 12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Location: Buchanan D323 [map]
Contact: email@example.com if you have any questions
Every year, UBC sends six staff members abroad on the Leave for Change program, to volunteer in developing countries, sharing their knowledge and skills with others in an international setting.
Together with international volunteer agency Uniterra, UBC works to provide successful applicants with a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Volunteer positions are diverse and range from technology training to youth leadership. Placements are offered in Bolivia, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Ghana, Guatemala, Malawi, Nepal, Vietnam and more.
Visit our website to learn about eligibility and application process, program deadlines, and important information for applicants, as well as checking out the online diaries of past Leave for Change participants.
To learn more about the program, visit http://www.focusonpeople.ubc.ca/leave-for-change/ or contact Alex Bayne at firstname.lastname@example.org.
(Please note that this program is not open to faculty)
Filed under: Focus on People, Staff, UBC Vancouver | Tags: leave for change, volunteer
Posted by: Breeonne Baxter | June 14, 2012
Wisdom Tettey, new Dean of the Faculty of Critical and Creative Studies at UBC’s Okanagan campus, was part of the group to provide input for the Okanagan campus’s new academic leadership series. Read more in the Focus on People 2011 Annual Report.
Filed under: Focus on People, Spotlight, UBC Okanagan | Tags: annual report, focus on people
Posted by: Breeonne Baxter | June 14, 2012
The UBC 2011/12 Benchmark Report examines the data behind UBC’s workforce retention, recruitment, workplace health, and total compensation. Read the full document as a companion piece to this year’s Focus on People annual report.
Filed under: Focus on People, Spotlight, UBC Okanagan | Tags: benchmarks
Posted by: Breeonne Baxter | May 7, 2012
Recognizing the contributions of staff members to the UBC community, four staff have been awarded the 2012 President’s Service Award for Excellence. The PSAE acknowledges staff who have made outstanding contributions to UBC, and excel in their personal achievements.
The winners this year are:
- Rose Harper, Senior Program Assistant for Arts One and the Coordinated Arts Program (Vancouver campus)
- Maureen Lisle, Visual Arts Technician in the Department of Creative Studies (Okanagan campus)
- Jarnail Mehroke, Teaching Lab Technician in the Department of Botany, Biology Program (Vancouver campus)
- Peter Milroy, Director of UBC Press (Vancouver campus)
For full biographies on the winners, please visit UBC Reports.
To learn more about previous winners of the PSAE, please visit our PSAE Recipients page.
Filed under: Focus on People, Recognition, Spotlight, Staff, UBC Okanagan, UBC Vancouver | Tags: awards, recognition
Posted by: Breeonne Baxter | March 7, 2012
In November, 2011, UBC held its second Workplace Experiences Survey, an opportunity for staff and faculty to share what you think about working at UBC. Visit the Focus on People Workplace Experiences Survey page to see the results.
Filed under: Focus on People | Tags: workplace experiences survey
Posted by: Breeonne Baxter | February 21, 2012
UBC is one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers in 2012, for the fifth consecutive year.
Some of the reasons why University of British Columbia was selected as one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers 2012:
- the University maintains offices for Equity and Access and Diversity, to encourage dialogue and promote on-campus awareness of diversity, equity and inclusion
- recently introduced “equity briefings” for search committees and is currently expanding equity training as well as engaging in a review of employment systems to identify barriers to employment or advancement within the University
- also appointed a Director of Intercultural Understanding, whose role is to increase cross-cultural understanding and manage related campus-wide initiatives
- is developing a pilot program in partnership with the “Western Institute for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing” and the “Open Door” group to recruit individuals with disabilities
- manages a campus-wide “Positive Space” campaign to increase awareness of LGBT issues and offers educational workshops for faculty, staff, and students on the impact of homophobia and heterosexism
- created an Aboriginal strategic plan in 2008 to enhance recruitment, support, and advancement initiatives for Aboriginal faculty and staff — the plan also includes curriculum programming to ensure Aboriginal issues and perspectives are represented within a
For more information on UBC’s people practices, please visit Focus on People.
Filed under: Focus on People, Recognition | Tags: awards, diversity, kudos, top employer
Posted by: Breeonne Baxter | February 6, 2012
UBC has been named one of BC’s Top Employers in 2012, for the sixth consecutive year.
UBC was recognized for:
- Maternity leave salary top-up, and access to on-campus subsidized daycare.
- Tuition support and scholarships for the children of faculty and staff.
- Helping employees balance their working and personal lives through a variety of alternative work arrangements.
- Supporting employee development through tuition waivers and in-person and online training options.
UBC has nearly 23,000 faculty, staff and student employees at our campuses in Vancouver and Kelowna, as well as the distributed medical program, hospital, farm, forest and other locations. We are the largest employer of students in the province of British Columbia, with over 8,000 student employees.
For more information on our people practices, please visit Focus on People.
Filed under: Focus on People, Recognition, Staff and Faculty | Tags: awards, kudos, Top BC Employer