It’s “back to school” at UBC, and with it comes new opportunities for a fresh approach to work and a renewed motivation for personal learning and ongoing professional development. We invite you to take advantage of the available funds to pursue learning activities that will help you to grow in your career at UBC.
September marks the half-way point the UBC Staff Professional Development Funds claim year (April 1 – March 31).
Individual funding maximums and guidelines vary based on your employee group affiliation as noted below:
Staff – April 1 to March 31 funding year
- BCGEU Okanagan: $1,200 Regular; $600 Auxiliary
- CUPE 116: $1,000
- CUPE 2950: $1,400
- Executive Administrative: $1,500
- Management and Professional (AAPS): $550
- Non-Union Technicians & Research Assistants: $1,000
- Service Unit Directors and Excluded M&P: $1,500
Faculty – July 1 to June 31 funding year
Faculty – Non-standard funding year
- Sessional Lecturers (without continuing status): $25 per credit taught
- Research Associates funding year April 1 – March 31 ( two year cycle): $2,000
- Postdoctoral Fellows: travel awards to present research (application deadlines vary)
Additional personal and professional development opportunities are available, including:
- Tuition waivers to offset the cost of UBC credit courses, as well as UBC Extended Learning and approved Sauder School of Business Continuing Business Studies courses.
- Lynda.com, “anytime learning” online courses that can help you brush up on your technical, creative, or workplace business skills – available free of cost for all UBC faculty and staff.
- Professional development workshops (Vancouver | Okanagan)
Staff Professional Development Funds (Vancouver campus, all M&P, all Exec Admin, all SUD)
BCGEU Okanagan Professional Development Fund (Okanagan campus)
Faculty Professional Development Reimbursement (all campuses, faculty and sessional lecturers )
Research Associates Professional Development Fund (all campuses)
Postdoctoral Fellows Travel Awards (Vancouver campus)