Applying for Unpaid Medical Leave

For unpaid medical leave, apply to your department in writing, including a doctor’s certification of the illness and a prognosis of your expected return date. Your department will then notify Financial Services that you are going on unpaid medical leave.

Employment Insurance (EI)

You should apply for Employment Insurance (EI) Sickness Benefits from Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) as soon as you know the dates of your leave.

A Record of Employment (ROE) is required for your EI application.  Your Payroll Representative will send your ROE electronically to Service Canada following your last paycheque prior to the start date of your leave.  You do not need to request a ROE from UBC.

If you would like to speak with someone at UBC regarding your ROE:

UBC Vancouver Staff Payroll Representatives:

UBC Vancouver Faculty Representatives:

UBC Okanagan Staff and Faculty Payroll Representatives:

Applying for Employment Insurance (EI)

Details on applying for Employment Insurance Sickness Benefits can be found on the Service Canada website.

For medical leaves of more than six months, you may be eligible to apply for the Income Replacement Plan/Disability Benefits Plan.

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.