Applying for Parental Leave

If you are the birth mother and wish to apply for parental leave after your maternity leave, you should do so at the time you apply for your maternity leave.  If you are the birth father, you should apply for parental leave from your department in writing, notifying them of the dates you expect to leave and return to work.  Your department will then notify Financial Services that you are going on leave.

Birth mothers are entitled to 35 weeks of unpaid parental leave, and birth fathers are entitled to up to 37 weeks of unpaid parental leave.

To coincide with EI weeks and avoid any possible loss of EI benefits:

  • Staff: you should begin either type of leave on a Monday and end it on a Friday (return from the leave on a Monday).
  • Faculty: you should begin either type of leave on a Sunday and end it on a Saturday (return from the leave on a Sunday).

Employment Insurance (EI)

You should apply for Employment Insurance (EI) Maternity/Parental Benefits from Human Resources and Skills Development Canada as soon as you know the dates of your leave.

A Record of Employment (ROE) is required for your EI application.  Your Payroll Representative will send your ROE electronically to Service Canada following your last paycheque prior to the start date of your maternity, parental or adoption leave.  You do not need to request a ROE from UBC.

If you would like to speak with someone at UBC regarding your ROE:

UBC Vancouver Staff Payroll Representatives:

UBC Vancouver Faculty Representatives:

UBC Okanagan Staff and Faculty Payroll Representatives:

Applying for Employment Insurance (EI)

Details on applying for Employment Insurance Maternity/Parental Benefits can be found on the Service Canada website.

For More Information

For more information, please refer to the step-by-step guide on Preparing for a Maternity, Parental and Adoption Leave.

Comments are closed.

a place of mind, The University of British Columbia

UBC Human Resources - Benefits
600 - 6190 Agronomy Road
Vancouver, BC, Canada
V6T 1Z3
Tel 604-822-8111
Fax 604-822-8134

Emergency Procedures | Accessibility | Contact UBC | ©2009 University of British Columbia