Applying for Adoption Leave

You should apply for adoption leave from your department in writing, notifying them of the dates you expect to leave and return to work.  Your department will then notify Financial Services that you are going on leave.

Adopting parents are entitled to 37 weeks of unpaid adoption leave, and you must complete your adoption leave within the first 52 weeks of your child arriving in your home.  CUPE 2950 and CUPE 2278 employees are eligible for an additional 18 weeks of unpaid adoption leave.

To coincide with EI weeks and avoid any possible loss of EI benefits:

  • Staff: you should begin either type of leave on a Monday and end it on a Friday (return from the leave on a Monday).
  • Faculty: you should begin either type of leave on a Sunday and end it on a Saturday (return from the leave on a Sunday).

Employment Insurance (EI)

You should apply for Employment Insurance (EI) Parental Benefits from Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) as soon as you know the dates of your leave.

A Record of Employment (ROE) is required for your EI application.  Your Payroll Representative will send your ROE electronically to Service Canada following your last paycheque prior to the start date of your maternity, parental or adoption leave.  You do not need to request a ROE from UBC.

If you would like to speak with someone at UBC regarding your ROE:

UBC Vancouver Staff Payroll Representatives:

UBC Vancouver Faculty Representatives:

UBC Okanagan Staff and Faculty Payroll Representatives:

Applying for Employment Insurance (EI)

Details on applying for Employment Insurance Parental Benefits can be found on the Service Canada website.

For More Information

For more information, please refer to the step-by-step guide on Preparing for a Maternity, Parental and Adoption Leave.

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.