By Human Resources Communications on February 17, 2016
Claiming Medical Expenses on Your Tax Return
If you or your eligible dependents have any unpaid Extended Health and/or Dental Care claims from the 2015 calendar year that were not reimbursed by Sun Life or other benefits plans, you may be eligible to claim these expenses on your income tax return depending on your net income (or your eligible dependents).
For more information on the types of medical expenses you can claim for and the documentation required, please visit the Canada Revenue Agency website.
Any Medical Services Plan premiums you pay may not be claimed on your tax return.
Any questions about claiming medical expenses should be directed to the Canada Revenue Agency or your financial advisor.
2015 Tax Receipts
UBC deducts taxes from your paycheques according to rules, legislation and computer formulas provided by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).
If you do not select to receive your receipt(s) online, you will receive it by Campus Mail (or Canada Post if you are on a leave of absence) delivered or post marked no later than February 29, 2016. If you have not received your tax receipt by March 14, 2016, please contact your Payroll Service Representative in Financial Operations:
- Vancouver Staff: http://finance.ubc.ca/payroll/contact-us/payroll-portfolio-contact-listing
- Vancouver Faculty: http://finance.ubc.ca/payroll/contact-us/faculty-payroll-contacts
- Okanagan Staff and Faculty: http://pps.ok.ubc.ca/contact.html
For answers to frequently asked questions on tax receipts, please refer to the UBC Payment and Procurement website.
About T4 and T4As
- T4 Receipt (Slip) – Statement of Remuneration Paid are issued for employees who received salary, wages, tips or gratuities, bonuses, vacation pay, employment commissions, other remuneration and taxable benefits.
- T4A Receipt (Slip) – Statement of Pension, Retirement, Annuity, and Other Income are issued for employees who received other amounts related to employment such as research grants, fellowship, bursary and retiring allowances etc.