Is your Dentist recommending expensive dental work for you and/or your family? Always request a predetermination from your Dentist before getting the work done.
During a dental check-up, your dentist may recommend an extensive treatment plan for a dental issue. Before making any decision, you need to find out how much of the cost will be covered by your UBC Dental plan and how much you will need to pay out-of-pocket.
Request a predetermination from your dentist
A dental predetermination is a no-cost service available from Sun Life to assist you in:
- Determining whether any or all of the dental procedures in the treatment plan are covered under UBC’s Dental plan,
- Determining how much is paid by the UBC Dental plan and how must be paid out-of-pocket, and
- For those items which are not covered, speak with your dentist to determine alternative treatments or procedures.
To initiate a dental predetermination with your dental office:
- Have your dental office complete either an electronic dental claim form or a paper dental claim form for submission to Sun Life. Ensure that the form is clearly marked as a predetermination request.
- Include any supporting documentation, x-rays and/or models from the dental office with the claim form.
- If submitting the request by paper, remember to make a copy of the request and any supporting documentation prior to mailing to Sun Life.
- Submit the request to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada:
PO Box 2010 Station Waterloo
Don’t assume that coverage will be provided for any of the treatment plan – it’s your responsibility to request a predetermination prior to embarking on your treatment.
For further information on dental predeterminations, contact Sun Life at 1-800-361-6212 or 1-800-661-7334.