Dependent Children

Do You Have a Dependent Child Thinking of Attending UBC?

Do You Have a Dependent Child Thinking of Attending UBC?

When your dependent child progresses from high school to post-secondary education, it can be an exciting, overwhelming and confusing time for you and your child.

Deciding on which post-secondary institution to attend can require extensive research, review and comparison and personal reflection on values, interests and career possibilities. It is also important to understand details such as the application process for the institutions that make your list.

UBC staff and faculty who are parents of children thinking of attending UBC are invited to attend a UBC Undergraduate Admissions information session to learn more about UBC’s student application process and timelines.

This session will be led by two UBC Admission Advisors, and you will learn about UBC’s application, personal profile, document requirements and decision timelines. There will also be plenty of time to answer your questions.

Please note that graduate or professional programs (e.g. law, medicine and dentistry) will not be discussed as the focus will be on undergraduate studies.

UBC Undergraduate Admissions Information Session

  • Date:  Tuesday, December 12, 2017
  • Time:  12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m.
  • Location:  Irving K. Barber Learning Centre, Room 155
  • RSVP: with subject line “Undergraduate Admissions Information Session”

Note: This session is open to UBC staff and faculty. Spouses of staff and faculty are not eligible to attend unless they are a UBC staff/faculty member.

Tuition Waiver Support

UBC supports the wellbeing of you and your family by providing tuition assistance for eligible courses at UBC. Depending on your employee group and appointment details, your dependent child may be eligible for the Tuition Waiver Benefit.

Photo: UBC Communications & Marketing

Health Benefits Coverage for Students during the Summer Months

Updated March 20, 2018

Your child has packed up their books for the summer and will be returning to their post-secondary studies in the fall. Whatever they do this summer, you’ll have peace of mind knowing that they’re still covered under your UBC health benefits plan.

If you have a dependent child between the ages of 19 and 25 who is a full-time student, they may continue to be eligible for coverage under your UBC Medical Services Plan (MSP), Extended Health and Dental plans and Employee and Family Assistance Program during the summer months if they will be returning to school in the fall.

If your child has graduated or does not plan on returning to school, their coverage will end on the last day of the month in which they complete their studies. You must provide us with this date on the Student Health Benefits Dependent Confirmation form you are required to submit each year.

If this date changes (for example, if your child reduces their course load and is no longer a full-time student, graduates earlier than originally indicated, or changes their plans and will not return to school), you are responsible for informing Payroll that your child is no longer eligible for coverage under your benefits plan. Your child’s coverage will be cancelled.

Coverage for full-time students will end on the last day of the month in which they turn 25.

If you have any questions about your child’s student status, please contact Payroll:

Vancouver Campus

Surnames A – G

Jennifer Lim

T: 604-827-3212 / E:

Surnames H – O

Carol Liao

T: 604-827-1738 / E:

Surnames P – Z

Pravin Khan

T: 604-822-8701 / E:

Okanagan Campus

Paula Lambert

T: 250-807-8625 / E:

Health Coverage for Post-Secondary Students Studying outside of BC

Updated March 20, 2018

Whether your child is attending university in Ottawa or Oxford, they are covered by your UBC health benefits plan. Here’s what you need to know.

Coverage outside BC or Canada

If you have a dependent child between the ages of 19 and 25 who is studying outside of BC or Canada, they may continue to be covered under your UBC Medical Services Plan (MSP), Extended Health and Dental plans and Employee and Family Assistance Program.

While your dependent child is studying outside BC, it’s important that they remain enrolled in MSP. Your dependent child must maintain their MSP coverage while temporarily outside BC and they should contact Health Insurance BC prior to their departure from BC.

If your dependent is enrolled in MSP through UBC, you can verify their coverage by viewing your benefit enrolments in the UBC Faculty and Staff Self-Service portal. 

Physician visits and hospital services that are normally covered by MSP in BC will only be covered outside of BC or Canada in the event of an emergency. Reimbursement for emergency physician visits and hospital services is 100%, up to the overall lifetime UBC Extended Health maximum of $2 million per person.

Sun Life’s travel benefits provider, Allianz Global Assistance, will co-ordinate claims with MSP. This means that you only need to submit one claim form to Sun Life. 

Your dependent child will receive coverage for services and supplies that are normally covered under the UBC Extended Health and Dental plans with Sun Life while they are studying outside of BC or Canada, subject to the terms and conditions of the plan.

The only exception is that the services of paramedical practitioners are not covered outside North America.

Services and supplies will be reimbursed at the reasonable and customary rates for the same services and supplies in British Columbia.

There is no need to notify Sun Life of your dependent child’s temporary absence from BC.


For additional information, please visit our webpage.

If you have any questions, please contact Stephanie Mah, Benefits Specialist, at 604-822-6823 or