If you or your eligible dependents have any Extended Health and/or Dental claims from the 2018 calendar year that were not reimbursed by Sun Life (or another benefit plan), you may be able to claim these expenses on your income tax return depending on you or your dependents’ net income.
You may be eligible to claim unreimbursed medical expenses on your tax return if:
- You (or your spouse) have unreimbursed medical expenses that exceed the lesser of 3% of your net income or $2,268; or
- Your eligible dependents have unreimbursed medical expenses that exceed the lesser of 3% of their net income or $2,268.
For more information on the types of medical expenses for which you can claim and how to do this, visit the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) website.
Note: Any Medical Services Plan (MSP) premiums you pay cannot be claimed on your tax return.
Questions about claiming medical expenses should be directed to the CRA or your financial advisor.
2018 Tax Receipts Now Available
Faculty, staff and student employees can download their 2018 T4 and T4A statements for their tax returns via the Faculty & Staff Self-Service Portal.
To download your statement:
- Log in to the Faculty & Staff Self-Service portal at www.msp.ubc.ca, using your Campus-Wide Login (CWL). If you are off campus, you will need to connect using VPN.
- Click on “HRMS Self-Service”.
- In the “My Pay” column of the screen, select “Year End Slips” to access your statement for the current and previous years. If you have not previously accessed your slip(s) online, you will be required to acknowledge a consent agreement.
Note: Faculty and staff who choose not to accept the agreement will receive their T4/T4A statements in late February, consistent with the requirements of the CRA.
For more information about your taxes or obtaining your tax slips, visit https://finance.ubc.ca/payroll/your-taxes.
About T4 and T4A’s
- Issued for employees who received salary, wages, tips or gratuities, bonuses, vacation pay, employment commissions, other remuneration and taxable benefits
- Issued for employees who received other amounts related to employment such as research grants, fellowship, bursary and retiring allowances
Do you have questions? Contact the Health, Wellbeing & Benefits team at email@example.com.