Studies show that our minds are wandering 46.5% of the time.1 With all the digital distractions around us, it’s not surprising that there’s greater focus on mindfulness practices. A tremendous amount of research over the past 20 years has demonstrated the benefits of mindfulness for physical and mental wellbeing. Whether you are new to mindfulness, practicing already, or part of a department or unit looking for a team-building activity, everyone can benefit from this simple practice.
At UBC, you have the opportunity to explore mindfulness and enhance your wellbeing with the 30-Day Online Mindfulness Challenge.
About the 30-Day Online Mindfulness Challenge
Available to all UBC staff, faculty and postdoctoral fellows at all campus locations, the 30-Day Online Mindfulness Challenge is a free, innovative and evidence-based program that encourages employees to incorporate mindfulness into the workplace and in their everyday lives. Content is delivered via any online or mobile device and focuses on simple yet powerful and achievable learning objectives.
You can expect:
- 10 minutes per day of mindfulness training for 30 days
- Expert-led and evidence-based programming
- Online platform that can be used anywhere
- Free to join and includes participation of a buddy or colleague of your choice
- Open to all UBC staff and faculty (Vancouver and Okanagan campuses)
What previous participants say:
“Mindfulness practice helps reset my mind and have a clear perspective when I become unfocused or feel overwhelmed in the workplace.”
“Taking the Challenge with a colleague was really helpful…having another person who understood the immediate benefits of practicing mindfulness… it kept us accountable.”
“The Take 5 mindfulness practice has become a regular part of how we begin team meetings. [It’s] helped us be more present, better listeners, engaged and resilient.”
All UBC staff and faculty in Vancouver and the Okanagan can participate in the 30-Day Mindfulness Challenge by:
- Registering for the Challenge orientation webinar: Oct. 17 from 12:00-12:30 p.m.
- Taking a look at the orientation video of the online dashboard.
- Creating your profile on the online hub using this UBC Vancouver and Okanagan staff and faculty link.
- Choosing to register between two dates: Oct. 29 – Nov. 27, 2018 or Apr. 15 – May 10, 2019.
Learn more about mindfulness at UBC:
- Benefits of mindfulness
- Mindfulness Challenge wellbeing story featuring UBC Sauder’s DAE unit
- Additional mindfulness and meditation opportunities at UBC
1 Killingsworth MA, Gilbert DT. A Wandering Mind Is an Unhappy Mind. Science 12 November 2010: Vol. 330. no. 6006, p. 932
Photo: Melissa Lafrance
Do you have questions? Contact the Health, Wellbeing & Benefits team at firstname.lastname@example.org.