The holiday season is a busy time, and often our health and wellbeing drops down on our list of priorities. It’s important to remember that staying active can help elevate our mood, build resilience, cope with stress, and give us energy to enjoy all the season has to offer. To help keep you motivated, we’ve compiled the following tips for staying active during the winter months.
- If you have a choice between taking the elevator, escalator or stairs, why not choose the stairs for a quick cardio burst?
- Switch up those tunes! Create a new playlist that motivates you to get out and stay active. Lost for ideas? Try asking a friend or colleague for recommendations.
- Don’t let your footwear impede you from getting outside. Choose comfortable shoes that have good grip and keep your feet happy. Whether it’s raining, the sun is shining or it’s icy out there, you’ll be more inclined to stay active if you have solid footwear.
- Keep your place neat and tidy, and burn some calories in the process. Cleaning your home is a great way to fit in some physical activity without having to go outside.
- Check out our Fitting in Fitness page for ideas and resources on improving all aspects of your fitness. Try the Holiday Workout, the Winter Energizer or check out our list of activities to try this winter.
- The holidays can be a strain financially, and joining organized fitness groups often comes with a cost. Did you know that as a member of UBC’s staff and faculty, you are eligible for a variety of on- and off-campus discounts? Check out our Health, Fitness & Family Discounts page to learn more.
- Put your smart phone to use. Pick from a variety of free fitness apps and YouTube videos to keep yourself active from the comfort of your own home. Our Apps for Fitness offers some great suggestions.