Claiming Medical Expenses on Your Tax Returns and 2016 Tax Receipts (T4/T4A)


Claiming Medical Expenses on Your Tax Returns

If you or your eligible dependents have any unpaid Extended Health and/or Dental Care claims from the 2016 calendar year that were not reimbursed by Sun Life or other benefits plans, you may be eligible to claim these expenses on your income tax return depending on your net income (or your eligible dependents).

For more information on the types of medical expenses for which you can claim, and the documentation required, please visit the Canada Revenue Agency website.

Any Medical Services Plan premiums you pay cannot be claimed on your tax return.

Questions about claiming medical expenses should be directed to the Canada Revenue Agency or your financial advisor.

2016 Tax Receipts

Financial Operations is preparing this year’s T4 and T4A statements. Once available, there will be a broadcast email with instructions for UBC faculty, staff, and student employees to access their statements via the Faculty and Staff Self Service portal. If you have problems accessing Self-Service, view our Help page.

UBC deducts taxes from your paycheques according to rules, legislation and computer formulas provided by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).

If you do not select to receive your UBC tax receipt(s) online, you will receive them by Campus Mail (or Canada Post if you are on a leave of absence or no longer employed by UBC), post-marked no later than the last day in February. If you have not received your tax receipt by the third week in March, please contact your Payroll Service Representative in Financial Operations:

For answers to frequently asked questions on tax receipts, please refer to the UBC Financial Operations website.

About T4 and T4As