Diverse Student Employment Opportunities
UBC encourages the employment of students on its Vancouver and Okanagan campuses. By employing our students, the University provides financial support and formal academic training for students to work in areas related to their fields of study.
Both campuses offer many types of student employment opportunities, including undergraduate/graduate work and co-op programs. Student employees also allow departments to gain temporary or part-time support.
In order to ensure the best working experience for our students, please review the following information to decide which type of student appointment is the right fit for your department. This information will assist your compliance with the University’s various obligations as an employer.
Contact your HR Associate with any questions regarding hiring a student as an employee.
- Planning for a Student Worker
- Creating a Student Position
- Hours of Work
- Vacation Pay
- Sick Time
- Statutory Holiday Pay
- Hiring a Student Worker
- Co-op Students
- Eligibility For Student Appointments (Excluding Co-op)
- Advertising a Student Position
- Searching and Selecting (the Interview)
- Making an Offer
- Common Types of Student Appointments (table)
- Managing a Student Worker
- Supervising Student Workers
- Maintaining Studies
- Performance Reviews and Feedback
- Attendance Management
- Ending Student Appointments
- T4s and T4As