Hiring a Foreign Worker

Valid Work Permit Required

Foreign workers (those who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents) require a valid work permit in order to work in Canada. A Canadian work permit is issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC).

The valid work permit must include:

  • “UBC” or “Open” as the employer
  • An appropriate occupation
  • Valid start and end dates that cover the appointment period

When hiring staff members, UBC gives hiring preference to Canadian citizens and permanent residents. Sometimes, if you cannot find a qualified Canadian citizen or permanent resident and have a qualified foreign worker, you can work with Human Resources (HR) to acquire a work permit for the new employee.


Assistance with Hiring a Foreign Worker

Please contact your HR Associate for assistance in hiring a foreign worker.

Updated July 2014

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.