Typical Hours of Work By Employee Group
Because of the wide diversity of work at UBC, from pharmacists to farm workers, no single schedule will fit everyone.
Here is an overview of typical hours of work for our major employee groups. However, this list doesn’t cover all of the possibilities, so please consult the relevant collective agreement or handbook for the precise language.
- 7.5 hours / day for 5 consecutive days in 7 for a total of 37.5 hours per week
- shifts can be day (between 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.), evening (between 3:30 p.m. and 12:30 a.m.), and night (between 11:00 p.m. and 8:00 a.m.)
- see Article 12 of the CUPE 116 collective agreement
- 12 hours per week, Monday to Friday
- see Article 14 and Article 27 of the CUPE 2278 collective agreement
- 7 hours per day Monday to Friday for a total of 35 hours per week
- shifts can be day (8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.), evening (4:00 p.m. to 12:00 midnight), and night (12:00 midnight to 8:00 a.m.)
- most CUPE 2950 employees work the UBC business hours of 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- see Article 28 of the CUPE 2950 collective agreement
Management & Professional (AAPS)
- 7 hours per day, 5 days per week for a total of 35 hours
- hours coincide with the University’s business hours of 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- see Article 10 of the AAPS handbook
- not more than 8 hours per day for a total of 36 hours per week
- shifts may be day (6:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.), evening (2:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m.) or night (10:30 p.m. to 6:30 a.m.)
- see Article 7 of the IUOE collective agreement
Non-Union Technicians / Research Assistants
- 7.5 hours per day, 5 days per week for a total of 37.5 hours
- see the Handbook for Technicians and Research Assistants
BCGEU Child Care
- Infant and Over 3 Centres: 7.5 hours per day Monday to Friday for a total of 37.5 hours per week
- Toddler Centres: 7 hours per day Monday to Friday for a total of 35 hours per week
- see Article 5 of the BCGEU Child Care collective agreement